The Future in Shoulder Replacement Surgery: the Integration of 3D Planning and Guides in the Clinical Workflow
by Jonathan C. Levy, MD, FAAOS | Chief of Orthopedics, Holy Cross Medical Group, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US
Dr. Levy presents his high-level vision on what shoulder surgery is today and where the opportunities are for the future.
He starts with listing the current challenges in Total Shoulder Arthroplasty (TSA) and Reverse Shoulder Arthroplasty (RSA). Then he elaborates on how he sees the future of Shoulder Arthroplasty and how new technologies have already improved implants. During the webinar he mainly focuses on why he believes the greatest improvement in shoulder surgery is the ability to interact and understand anatomy by the introduction of virtual planning and the ability to create patient-specific instrumentation. Dr. Levy shows how 3D planning and printing is revolutionizing TSA and RSA surgery. The advantages of computer-assisted surgery vs. freehand surgery are summarized in the presentation. Afterwards, Dr. Levy talks about his experience using the Match Point System®, developed by DJO in collaboration with Materialise, and how he sees the future of patient-specific technologies. He concludes by showing some concrete case studies.
What you’ll learn in this webinar
- What the current surgical challenges are in Total Shoulder Arthroplasty (TSA) and Reverse Shoulder Arthroplasty (RSA)
- How new technologies have improved shoulder implants
- Why Dr. Levy believes patient-specific problems demand patient-specific solutions
- A list of studies that prove why virtual planning ahead of surgery can bring advantages to shoulder surgeries
- The key benefits of patient-matched instrumentation
- Different steps in using Match Point System® and SurgiCase
About the speaker
Dr. Jonathan C. Levy studied at the Northwestern University and the University of Miami. He joined the fellowship at the University of South Florida and was a visiting clinician at the Mayo Clinic School of Medicine. He is now Chief of Orthopedics at Holy Cross Medical Group, Fort Lauderdale, Florida. He is also the Program Director of the Holy Cross Shoulder and Elbow Fellowship and the Medical Director of the Holy Cross Orthopedic Research Institute. Materialise has previously worked with Dr. Levy as a DJO consultant on the development of shoulder guide solutions for partners.