Process R&D Intern
Selective laser sintering (SLS) is a powder-based additive manufacturing technique for plastic powders. A laser sequentially fuses plastic powder particles layer by layer to create a final 3D-printed part according to the input CAD file. This process allows mass customization and high design freedom and is increasingly used in the medical sector.
However, the list of plastic powders which can be processed via SLS and used for implantable medical devices is very short. Next to the intrinsic powder behavior (material), the 3D printer set-up (hardware) and in-process control of heaters, lasers, etc. (software/hardware) also play important roles in the manufacturing process. The synergy between these three components should be optimized to enable the integration of new materials and new applications into the 3D printing ecosystem.
What you will do
- The aim of this internship is to optimize this synergy by finetuning material, hardware, and software and to validate improvements on the niche material provided by Materialise.
- Candidates should have a background in engineering and a strong interest in the additive manufacturing process. Material knowledge and hands-on experience are pluses.
- Candidates need to be able to provide a contract from their university (no internships after graduation)
- Candidates need to have a student visa that allows them to do an internship in Belgium
- No reimbursement or accommodation is offered
Location and type of contract
- Internship via university
- Minimum of 6 weeks, summer or autumn of 2023
- Contact Bart Vanleeuw, Process R&D Team Leader, with resume and motivational letter
Working at Materialise
Materialise is a dynamic, international high-tech company, founded in 1990 and headquartered in Belgium, with over 2,300 employees worldwide. Materialise’s mission is to innovate for a better and healthier world through its software and hardware infrastructure and in-depth knowledge of additive manufacturing (also known as 3D printing). Our customers are in diverse industries, such as automotive, aerospace, medical, research, and academia.
As a growing company, Materialise is always looking for enthusiastic professionals who want to work in an environment full of revolutionary technology and surrounded by people passionate about their work.