How to use 2D placement tools in Materialise Magics
Learn how to use the 2D part placement tools that can automatically place parts in a platform for you, so that you can continue by choosing an orientation and generating support, where needed. There are two ways of doing 2D placement of parts in Magics; this tutorial takes you through both options step by step.
Description of the different steps
1. Use the Translate tool:
- Select your part, go to the Tools ribbon, and then click Translate.
- Either enter the resulting coordinates, or the relative translation value; and click on Apply.
- As an alternative, use the interactive translation tools. The red, green and blue arrows move your part along the X, Y, and Z axes, respectively.
- Use the To default position and To default Z buttons to quickly place a part on these locations.
2. Use the Automatic Placement tool:
Select your part, go to the Build Preparation or Position ribbon, and click on Automatic Placement.
- Part interval: The distance between your parts
- Platform margin: Te distance between the edge of your platform, and the parts.
- Make a choice to Nest all parts, or only the Selected parts.
- Make a choice to translate all parts to the default Z-height, or keep the current Z-height.
- If you have too many parts to fit into a platform, you can enable multi-platform placement.
- Bounding box: Takes the bounding boxes of a part into account.
- Geometry: Considers the original shape of a part.
- Placement solution: Make a choice to stop at the first solution, or when the minimal surface area, X-dimension or Y-dimension is reached. You can also place the part in the platform center.
- Part placement: Set the automatic placement tool to only translate, or translate and rotate your parts with degree intervals you specify.