How to use orientation tools in Materialise Magics
In Magics, you have four ways of orientating your parts: the Rotation Tool, the Bottom/Top Plane Tool, the Orientation Comparator, and the Orientation Optimizer. In this tutorial we'll take you all four options.
Materialise Magics Software Download Trial
Description of the different steps
1. Use the Rotate tool:
- Select your part, go to the Tools ribbon, and then click Rotate.
- Either enter the degrees of rotation, or use the interactive rotation circles. The red, green, and blue 3D circles rotate your part around the X, Y, and Z axes, respectively. The blue 2D circle will rotate your part in 2D. Click on Apply.
2. Use the Bottom/Top Plane tool:
- Select your part, go to the Build Preparation or Position ribbon, and click on Bottom/Top Plane.
- Make your selection for bottom or upper plane, click on Indicate plane, and click on the plane on your part. Click on Apply.
3. Use the Orientation Comparator:
- Go to the Build Preparation (or Position) ribbon, and click on Orientation Comparator. If needed, add or delete priorities via. Click on Compare.
- In order to compare the orientations, click on the icon next to your orientation of choice.
- Choose the suitable orientation, and click on Apply.
4. Use the Orientation Optimiser:
- Go to the Build Preparation (or Position) ribbon, and click on Orientation Optimiser.
- Update the measurements from the Analyse tab.
- Move to the Optimise tab, and tick the criteria that you’d like to optimise for. Click on Optimise.
- (To minimise support on a marked region): Mark the region using the marking tools. Go to the Optimise tab, enable Support on marked, and click on Optimise.