Materialise Web-based Surgery Planner allows a surgeon to simulate the placement of implants in a joint replacement surgery (Knee, Hip). This simulation is based on three-dimensional models of the patient’s anatomy that were derived from medical imaging data using image segmentation. Using the Planner, the surgeon can inspect a default pre-operative plan that is generated by Materialise, adjust parameters as desired, and approve it. The surgeon approved pre-operative plan will then be used by Materialise to design and produce the Patient Specific Instruments (Pin Placement Guides) using rapid prototyping. Finally, the patient-matched pin placement guides will be used on the patient during surgery as a guide to accurately determine drill and cut positions that are required for placing the actual implant device.
As an engineer you will be responsible for implementing features as well as ensuring they are done to meet rigorous quality standards of medical software with the end result being a product that is used by hundreds of surgeons throughout the world.
To succeed in this job, it is also crucial that you are able to see your contributions as part of a larger team: how does your solution fit into the overall product and will it meet the needs in the best possible way. This skill takes a combination of the ability to break down tough problems, creative thinking, and hard work, to turn these challenges into solutions.
At the same time, it is essential that you like working in teams where collaboration and knowledge sharing is the way to meet the common goals.
The job’s international aspects and our international work environment require that you are proficient in both written and spoken English.
Qualifications & Experience
In short you will do the following:
- Participate in technical discussions and bring new ideas on the table
- Design, implement, test, deploy, maintain and improve our software components and services
- Own quality of your code (i.e., unit tests, TDD, and other test methodologies)
- Work with Product Managers, Functional Analysts, Architects to design and specify new features from the engineering standpoint
- Embrace and use state-of-the-art new technologies
- Author internal tools that improve the team’s quality and productivity
- Contribute to the positive, solution focused and creative team spirit
Throughout your tasks, you will work closely with other Software Engineers in order to optimize design, quality and functionality of the Product’s backend.
- Mathematical background (i.e understanding of Vertex and Matrix algebra is a plus)
- Object-oriented design, coding and testing patterns
- Excellent skills in C++
- 3+ years of industry experience designing, building, testing & shipping software
- Exceptional problem-solving skills
- Ability to handle competing priorities in a fast paced environment
- An ability to perform at a high level in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Good influencing skills, able to bring colleagues along with your vision
- Good communication skills
We offer an inspiring and challenging job with growth potential in an innovative market. You will be part of a dedicated team within a dynamic company that highly values openness, trust and team spirit.