Plan. Do. Check. Act.
Post-operative device analysis using CT scans can be expensive and sometimes simply impossible, as patients do not necessarily want to undergo the CT radiation of an extra scan. Similarly, cadaver tests can be both time-consuming and expensive.
The principle is simple. X-rays taken after an operation can be integrated or “registered” into an existing pre-operation 3D model. As all the dimensions of the device are known, its exact post-operation position can be determined very precisely.
So you can better quantify results and use this data to make meaningful advances to devices that could improve subsequent patient outcomes – all this using non-invasive and relatively inexpensive x-ray scans.
Main benefits for engineers, researchers and surgeons:
- Lower research costs
- Lower patient radiation exposure due to fewer CT scans
- Simplified registration of the x-ray scan
- Specific analysis tools for a variety of data
- Access to data that could otherwise be unavailable
- Ability to use post-op insights for future iterations